Re: Kudos to BootCD!

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:56:53AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> True, but fitting it on one CD seems a problem with an existing system.
> I am going to try building one from scratch to keep watch on the size.

I keep a local mirror of all the .debs I have installed.
I have a script that moves /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb to a directory,
runs dpkg-scanpackages on the directory which identifies duplicates/olds
and only writes the latest to a Packages file.  I move the residue to an
archive hierarchy (by date), and munge the data into a "local partial
mirror."

So I ran debootstrap and use a file:/ URL to point it to this local
mirror.  Then I chroot into it, mount my "outside" file system via NFS,
install the packages I want on the CD, in particular install a kernel,
install bootcd, then make the .ISO image.

I am testing the ISO in VMWare.