Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

You should not use Debian.  Find a less geek-oriented distro.  We
won't mind.  Honestly.

Heh heh - I was waiting for an email like this. Et tu, Ron? ;)

First off, I was talking about a distro that non-techies could use. My initial inquiry was (to paraphrase):

   Is the need for manual configuration of devices a consequence of the
   basic Linux hardware model, or is it something that can be made
   easier for users?

I am not sure I can say this categorically about all plug-n-play
devices, but I, for one, am very uneasy about USB and Firewire
and similar PnP stuff in corporate environment.

Anything that 'just installs' its own drivers means it's a security
risk or potential source of admin headaches.

This opinion of mine will be valid (AFAIC) until

a) there is a way to authenticate these PnP devices

b) someone comes up a workable solution that enables per-user
   authorization for these PnP devices [in a single-sign-on
   environment]

Until then, AFAIC, all the fancy user-friendliness applies to
home users only.

Cheers,
Ray