Re: GNOME File Association

"postinst" is one of the scripts that gets automatically executed
after a package is installed.

>From http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-maintscripts :

postinst
    This script typically completes any required configuration of the
package foo once foo has been unpacked from its Debian archive
(".deb") file. Often, 'postinst' scripts ask the user for input,
and/or warn the user that if he accepts default values, he should
remember to go back and re-configure that package as the situation
warrants. Many 'postinst' scripts then execute any commands necessary
to start or restart a service once a new package has been installed or
upgraded.

 - Tim