Re: GNOME File Association

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 22:40 -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> Hello Debian Users,
>
> I am currently using the unstable version of Debian. Prior to this, I was using
> testing (Sarge) and I noticed that a serious problem had occurred after an dist-upgrade.
>
> Basically, all my file associations seem to have dissapeared. While using testing, I
> was able to at least open a application with this information but in Sid, I can't
> even find this application anymore. It would appear that it is no longer in it's
> proper menu.
>
> An annoying side effect to this is that I cannot double click files and have them
> automatically launch with the approrpriate application. When I try this, the message
> I usually get is:
>
> "Couldn't display <filename>."
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can get that application back into the menu? I don't know
> the exact name of the program but it allowed me to associate files by the suffix to
> an application.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

See if these are installed properly:

ii  gnome-mime-data          2.4.1-2
ii  mime-support             3.28-1
ii  mimedecode               1.9-2
ii  shared-mime-info         0.15-1

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Those hairy white apes don't have the Japanese fighting spirit."
What Imperial Japanese pilots were saying, in 1941.