Re: GNOME File Association

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 22:40 -0500, Bruce Park wrote:

Hello Debian Users,

I am currently using the unstable version of Debian. Prior to this, I was using testing (Sarge) and I noticed that a serious problem had occurred after an dist-upgrade.

Basically, all my file associations seem to have dissapeared. While using testing, I was able to at least open a application with this information but in Sid, I can't even find this application anymore. It would appear that it is no longer in it's proper menu.

An annoying side effect to this is that I cannot double click files and have them automatically launch with the approrpriate application. When I try this, the message I usually get is:

"Couldn't display <filename>."

Can anyone tell me how I can get that application back into the menu? I don't know the exact name of the program but it allowed me to associate files by the suffix to an application.

Any help will be appreciated.

See if these are installed properly:

ii gnome-mime-data 2.4.1-2 ii mime-support 3.28-1 ii mimedecode 1.9-2 ii shared-mime-info 0.15-1

The third pacakage "mimedecode" was missing. After installing it, the only improvement I see is after right clicking a file, it gives me one more option which is to open it with an associated appplication.

Is it possible that GNOME 2.8 (or Debian for that matter) did away with the "File Association" application found on the Applications -> Desktop Preferences menu?

Thanks for the help.

bp