Re: Re: Installing sarge with basedebs.tar

<snip>

> You really don't need the latest version of gcc in order to install
> Sarge,
> no matter what install technique you use. All the stuff that you need to
> install the OS is already compiled in a self consistent way. Once you
> have
> Sarge installed, you get the latest gcc for further work, but you don't
> need it for the install of Sarge.

Chrooted installs can be really confusing and trying to spare everyone
the details I did not explain myself too clearly.. The problem is that
the initial step in this type of install - and contrary to everything
that follows.. does not run in the chrooted environment: It runs with
the compiler.. libraries etc.. available on the "installer" system.. in
my case an old RedHat 7.2 system..

So, what was happening is that the woody version of debootstrap doesn't
work with the sarge CD images.. I tried it aagainst the full-scale sarge
CD1 image, the netinst minimal CD and ach time I was getting a cryptic
message from debootstrap to the effect that he couldn't find the
"Release" file on the /mnt/cdrom/debian path.. although I could see that
the file was there alright.. So.. I downloaded a more current version of
debootstrap which appeared to be "see" the Release file on the sarge CD
images but.. the next thing I knew.. this newer debootstrap was
complaining about gcc not being current.

Naturally this is the gcc on my "installer" system that he's complaining
about.. Not the one that will be installed as part of the sarge system.
Well, since the main reason I am switching from RH to Debian is that I
just have had enough of these semi-circular rpm dependencies.. it
wouldn't make sense to embark upon some tricky upgrades at this point..
possibly making that system unusable to the point that I might not even
be able to use it to install Debian any more :-)

Hope this somewhat clarifies the matter..

> There is a major shift of library libc6 between Woody and Sarge. Almost
> every package needs a different version between these two. Maybe, you
> should ask on the debian installer list about the apparent need for a
> recent version of gcc. If you can install Woody, you can dist-upgrade
> from Woody to Sarge, and skip all consideration of netinstall.

Seems to be the way to do it.. In any case it worked exactly as I had
hoped and w/o any problems. I simply re-did the
woody/debootstrap/basedebs.tar install.. updated my ../apt/sources.list
and did an apt-get dist-upgrade immediately after to set up a minimal
base sarge system and took it from there...

Thanks much for help.
Cga.
--

  cga2001@eml.cc