Re: Re: Installing sarge with basedebs.tar

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 09:07:52PM -0500, cga wrote:
> The new net install system is currently the best Debian has for install
> over small pipes. If you can get the iso image of net install downloaded
> and burnt to CD, you can get the rest of the stuff you need by using it.
> Even if you can't get it downloaded over your pipe, I recommend that you
> try to purchase a copy of it from some vendor, and use it to download
> the rest. Sarge is not yet stable enough that you want to try to run it
> purely from CD, You need access to download updates over the internet.
>
> If the forgoing seems to imply that net install is not very good, that
> is mistaken. It is the best that Debian has because it is the best,
> period. You should not delay starting to use it, unless your internet
> pipe is totally disfunctional.
>
> All modern download systems use a layered system of error checking and
> recovery methods. Net install uses the best that are available.
>
> [..]
>
> Thank you very much indeed for your kind reply.
>
> Would you happen to know whether the netinst minimal CD can be used to do a
> chrooted install - as described in appendix C, section 4. of the Debian
> sarge installation manual?
> I plan to use this method to switch from my current RedHat 7.2 to Debian
> with minimal downtime.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.

I looked at my copy of debinst rc2 CD. It has deb package of wget and
udeb package of debootstrap on it in directory named pool. I believe
udeb is a compact and stripped down version of a regular deb, so it
probably has all you need for chroot, plus a lot of stuff that you
might not need for chroot. I would try it.

_But_, I have never done chroot install. And, I am not an expert on the
internals of the netinst system. I have used it, and it has worked
very nicely, for me.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net