Re: What happened to my menubar?

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 15:02 -0400, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I updated last night to the current sarge.  Since then, my x11 session has been
> missing the menu bar that used to be on the top of the screen, and the bar at
> the bottom that has an item for each open window.
>
> Nautilus is running, but the menus that had all my applications in it is gone.
> How can I restore it?

You might try opening a terminal (right-click on desktop -> open
terminal) and running  gnome-panel. If you have not rebooted completely
since the upgrade, there may be some processes that haven't died
(happens sometimes w/ bonobo especially). What I usually do is go to
another tty (Ctrl + Alt + F1) and login as root and run:

ps aux | grep MY_USERNAME | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -9

In english, this is: List all processes with username | show lines
containing MY_USERNAME | print only the second column (the process ID) |
pass all the PIDs as parameters to kill -9

Hope that helps.

-Mark