Re: Re: Installing sarge with basedebs.tar

<snip>

> I looked at my copy of debinst rc2 CD. It has deb package of wget and
> udeb package of debootstrap on it in directory named pool. I believe
> udeb is a compact and stripped down version of a regular deb, so it
> probably has all you need for chroot, plus a lot of stuff that you
> might not need for chroot. I would try it.
>
> _But_, I have never done chroot install. And, I am not an expert on the
> internals of the netinst system. I have used it, and it has worked
> very nicely, for me.

Thank you again.

I continued working on this and managed to download the netinst .iso
image. A more up-to-date version of debootstrap (from
debootstrap_0.2.45_i386.deb) apparently finds the sarge install packages
to its liking.. but alas, it needs a more recent version of gcc.

Since I do not wish to make any major changes to my running system and
I'm pretty sure that I'll have to upgrade some libraries to get a more
recent version of gcc to install, I'm going to try a different approach.
I'm currently re-installing woody from the basedebs.tar file and will
try to get "apt-get dist-upgrade".

Thanks much for help.
Chris.

--