Re: Deleted Partition Recovery ?

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 14:50 +0800, Nazri Ramliy wrote:
> This is just an overview, the details are of course not as easy at it
> sounds - you'll have to find/come up with a program/script to do a
> scan thru the hard disk image and extract the pictures.  jpeg/gif
> files have headers somewhere at their beginning that you can use to
> tell how many bytes made up the picture so the tool can extract that
> amount of bytes plus the headers and save them into a new file (you
> might not be able to retrieve their original file names, though).
> Some perl junkie with enough interest could come up with the script,
> (i'm not a perl junkie myself).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Nazri Ramliy

There's several already: The Sleuth Kit and Autopsy (a gui frontend for
the Sleuth Kit) are available via apt-get.  I've never actually used
them though.  Another one, which I have used, is foremost
(http://foremost.sourceforge.net/).  It's not brilliant but it works; it
might work better if you understand how to configure it.
(I should probably make sure I'm sending something to the list, not an
individual, before sending it.  Sorry. :-( )
--
 -Benjamin Matthew A'Lee

Public Key: BEC9DC1A
Termisoc Secretary: http://www.termisoc.org/