Re: Deleted Partition Recovery ?

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 12:11:34PM -0600, Matthew Quigley wrote:
> I've used get data back to recover lost files, costs about $70.00us

If you choose not to pay that $70.00us, then you can try recovering
those pictures own your own (this is the hard way).  You'll need a big
fat hard disk for storing an image of the hard disk that you your
brother fused.

Get the image of the fused hardisk using dd, then scavenge the image
for any picture files (jpeg/bmp/gif/etc) and extract them one by one.

This is just an overview, the details are of course not as easy at it
sounds - you'll have to find/come up with a program/script to do a
scan thru the hard disk image and extract the pictures.  jpeg/gif
files have headers somewhere at their beginning that you can use to
tell how many bytes made up the picture so the tool can extract that
amount of bytes plus the headers and save them into a new file (you
might not be able to retrieve their original file names, though).
Some perl junkie with enough interest could come up with the script,
(i'm not a perl junkie myself).

Kind regards,

Nazri Ramliy