Re: Nightstand Terminal

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 23:37 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 10:43 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Greg Folkert wrote:
> > >
> > > You still are not understanding. I have been using Debian exactly like
> > > LTSP for years. tftp booting, DNS, DHCP/BOOTP/RARP. At the place I work
> > > right now, I am in the process of finishing a tweak-out of server for
> > > Client serving via XDMCP login. Everything runs via the server in the
> > > data center. All the people that will use it, will be working from an
> > > X-Terminal, of which three types I have. The X-Term run from a bootable
> > > image off of my tftp/dhcp/ntp/print-server
> > >

> > Now all these X-Terminals, what do you gues use? Are they new or used?
>
> Please restate??? I am not quite understanding.
>
> Most of the X-Terminals are used.

X terminals have morphed into "thin clients".  Back in the day,
my DEC VXT-2000 was powered by a MC68020.  Now, any Via C3 is many
times more powerful, so why not move some of the burden(*) off the
main box and onto the diskless thin clients?

However, there's at least one still around:
  http://www.ncd.com/products/hardware/ncs/

* Back before I used a VXT-2000, I walloped COBOL using a 3270
emulator on a 386DX16.  "Why", I thought, "can't CICS integrate
with the PC?  A 386DX16 with 2MB RAM is more than powerful enough
to do grunt stuff like validate fields, which would reduce the
burden on the 1.6 MIPS, 6MB RAM mainframe.  Maybe it could support
100 users, instead of only 70!"

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"He that would live in peace and at ease must not speak all he
knows or all he sees."
Benjamin Franklin