Re: Nightstand Terminal

> On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 12:32 -0500, tallison@tacocat.net wrote:
>>
>> Invest in LTSP.org
>>
>> It will give you a terminal that can be very quiet with the horsepower
>> of
>> your workstation.  I use a number of notebooks for these clients.  The
>> hard drive is not running so there's zero noise and the power
>> consumption
>> is on  the order of <10W.
>>
>> Very compatable.
>> Very easy to set up.
>> I think the entire learning curve is a good Sunday.
>> Assumption: It requires the following:
>> DHCP
>> DNS (optional)
>> tftpd
>
> Why would I need LTSP? I have Debian.
>
> I have been using Debian doing these kinds of things like forever. (Well
> before Debian twas RedHat and before that HPUX and etc...)
> --

I assumed that "Nightstand" was to imply a small workstation with a strong
preference for very, very quiet operations.  Also something that might be
left on for days at a time.

Through LTSP (which works very nicely with Debian) you could configure a
client workstation to run a X-window session from the big, loud, hot
workstation/server you want to monitor.  But the hardware could be
configured in the BIOS to run without the hard drive or to spin down the
hard drive after one minute.

This would leave you with a very quiet machine that you could leave on for
hours or days at a time.

Additionally it can be run from anything that is at least a 486 with
16-32MB RAM.