Re: Debian retail kit?

That's a good question.

Did you know that prior Debian "stable" releases have had books
written about them?

http://www.linux.org/perl-bin/search_db?qid=4&spp=20&q=debian

I expect that when Sarge is finally released, there will be a book
about it. Such a book with CD would make the perfect "retail" kit in
my opinion.

However, until that happens, how about a 2-CD set? Knoppix and Debian
Sarge CD 1. Knoppix for the introduction to how things work, CD 1 for
the actual installation when they're ready. While Knoppix does have
an "installer", the software versions are haphazard and it is a bear
to integrate back into the mainstream Debian archive structure.

While I've never used any installation manual for i386, I have used
the excellent SPARC install manual that the Debian SPARC team
produced. Documentation is linked on this page:

Maybe just a print-out of the installation manual and Sarge CD 1
together, with Knoppix on the side if people are interested. Up to
you, I guess.

Good luck,

Curt-

--