Fw:Mewbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4 To Work

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Fw: Fw:Mewbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4
To Work

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> >Well. finally achieved partial success.  Modem, ppp,wvdial and gnome GUI
now
> >working without error messages except Mozilla mail client still gets mail
> >from the wrong account.
> >

> Somewhere in the Moz menus will be an "Account Options" or similar item
> (on Thunderbird, it's "Tools" / "Account Settings"). Delete the wrong
> account; create the correct account.
>
>>>Gee, I thought I made it clear that I have only one account set up and
have deleted it several times and restarted.  I set up >>>lenc@ruralcomm.com
but I get lchata@ruralcomm.com.  User ID is lchata and I think Mozilla is
getting confused.  >>>Getting correct email set up with outlook express
worked the first time when I first changed addresses.

> >  However, the only success so far was to totally
> >reinstall 2.4.18-bf2.4, reiniaializing all linux partitions, and then
only
> >the taskselect finished.  Dselect didn't run.  The reinstall failed
> >everyltime I used my backup CD' so I turned to the originals to reinstall
> >and it still didn't complete dselect as on the original installation.
> >

> IIRC, you're asked if you want to run dselect. I assume you're answering
> "Yes". And then dselect is failing to run? In that case, I'm beginning
> to think you have bad/damaged CDs.
>
>>>Ditto, I think the same.so I used the unused original disks and still had
errors.  The originals fromLinux CD-r's could be >>>corrupt.

> >"Apt-get update" is working now.  Apt-cache search Keyword has many error
> >messages for the cd's so I commented out the cd source to clean things up
> >bit, but "apt-get -s PackageName" gives an error message something like
file
> >name not correct format even though I typed it exactly from the cache
list.

> I've never used the "simulate" feature of apt-get, so I can't address
> what might be the issue here.
>
> >>I'll contact Marvin Stodolsky, who suggested this and who wrote
"Compiling Drivers, for Linux newbies".  You'all may    >>>have heard of
him.

> >I want to keep this thread open a little while longer as I see way too
many
> >install error messages although bootup error messages are now mininal.  I
> >now want to update/upgrade the kernel as some in the group suggested.
> >Apt-get update was run with stable and didn't show anything new.
> >
> Because you're pulling from CDs, and your system already knows what's on
> the CDs. In order to inform your system of newer stuff, like newer
> kernels, you'll have to point your system to a different source for
> packages. This is done in "/etc/apt/sources.list", and requires you to
> have another source available. The most common source for most people is
> a network connection to the Debian mirrors. This network connection can
> be broadband (good and fast), such as DSL or Cable Modem, or dial-up
> (slow and will take 2 all-nighters to upgrade your entire system, say,
> to Sid, if you were to so choose, if the packages on the mirror don't
> get updated before your system does, in which case, add another
> all-nighter).
>
>>>Ok, I've changed sources.list from stable to testing and commented out
the CD entries and assume I will see Sarge kernel >>>images to download when
I run `apt-get dist-upgrade.  Right?  Can I just upgrade the kernel to Sarge
to start instead of >>>updating/upgrading the entire Debian distribution or
will that cause problems?  I only have dialup modem service.