----- Original Message -----
From:  "Brian Nelson"
Sent: 2004-12-08 00:09:06
Subject: Re: Questions on Conffiles

>Just replace them with the original files.  You may have a
>/etc/deconf.conf.dpkg-dist file--this is the unmodified file from the
>package.

I am sorry I did not find such file, this means I have to backup first
next time. But what about this time? :-(

>The system will never really "take control" of a conffile.  If you've
>made changes, dpkg will prompt you about it when trying to upgrade the
>file.

So the md5sum of one conffile will never be evaluated unless dpkg is ready
to upgrade this conffile, and I will not be prompted before that. This means
the newest version is prefered, is this correct? And there is another problem:
what if the administrator deleted one conffile? If a newer version of this
conffile from package maintainer is available, shall I be prompted to put
this file into its directory? Or the system will ignore it since it was deleted
before? All of my problems is relevant to whether the administrator can switch
the state of one conffile (between modifing handly and upgrading automatically)
flexibly.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu