new motherboard causes serial complaints

I recently fried my computer (dead colling fan led to a smell of burning milk), and the motherboard had to be replaced. Now Linux gives me the message
	ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged
on the text consoles I get to using ctl-alt-f1, ctl-alt-f2, and so on.

Messages I found on the web suggest this is because the serial port is misconfigured. Now persumably the hardware autodetection was done correctly when I installed sarge some months age, and probably has to be redone. Is there soem way to do this without a reinstall?

-- hendrik