Re: Framebuffer console - chrooted Debian install

Andrea Vettorello wrote:

Ah ok, so no configuration script that i'm aware of.

I mean, you can configure your boot loader (Grub or Lilo) to pass the
needed option to the kernel to enable the framebuffer with resolution,
depth, draw strategies and so on, or if 60 Hz refresh rate is enough
for you, you can use the Vesa frame buffer adding a simply "vga=792"
(this should be 1024x768 you should find documentation to achieve
different resolutions) on your kernel option line...

Thanks, Andrea. That's what my original lilo stanza specified but although I could tell I was booting ok into Debian nothing was displayed. I was able to log in blindfolded, log out, reboot cleanly with a Ctrl+Alt+Del or successfully run a "shutdown -r" command.. etc.. but only after I got rid of the vga= was I able to actually see anything. Also I just noticed that I downloaded some antique.. a 2.2.20 kernel - could've sworn it was 2.4.20.. and since this is a test install I'm doing.. to gain some familiarity with Debian prior to switching from Red Hat.. I'll probably start from scratch and pay attention to what I'm doing for a change..