Re: Framebuffer console - chrooted Debian install

Andrea Vettorello wrote:

<snip>

Thanks much for your reply.

In /boot you should find the config used to compile the kernel, i'm
not quite sure if is the same for Woody, anyway you can look in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-image-2.4-X where you should find all the info
you need.

About the only place I didn't think to look.. :-[

need to do this the Debian way. I don't remember being prompted for any
information regarding the video chip on this laptop (ATI Mach64
Rage/Pro) when I ran "base-config". Is there a utility that I need to
run at this point that takes care of configuring my display? Where
should I look for more information on how to proceed?

Probably you need to install at least "fbset" package.
No, I was referring to a Debian config script. The switch to graphical console takes place very early on in the boot process and the code has to be a functional part of the kernel (compiled-in or module). fbset is a utility that lets you switch/display console settings after boot.

Chris.