Re: how does mutt send?

On Nov 28 2004, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 02:43:38PM +1100, Sam Watkins wrote:
> > I remember I had a bit of trouble getting mutt to set my "from" address
> > correctly, eventually I found tthat this works:
> >
> > my_hdr From: Sam Watkins <swatkins@fastmail.fm>
> >
> > is there specific mutt command to do this?
>
> Is it not one? :-)

Well, at least I use it for all my accounts. Don't really know what the
original poster wanted, but that's what I use (including in folder-hooks).

Anyway, let me tell what I do here for other people who may not have read
the whole thread. Actually, mutt *can* read POP3 and/or IMAP accounts, if
it is compiled with proper support (such as Debian's).

In fact, I installed an IMAP server here at my personal computer and have
mutt read it (I use fetchmail to grab the e-mails from the various accounts
that I have and procmail+spamassassin to sort the mail to the appropriate
folders).

The good thing about having an IMAP server installed is that it serves as
an "agnostic" interface for many MUA's, which means that I can use
Mozilla's Thunderbird (or any other GUI MUA) when I feel like it (and I
usually do, for know how things are improving on the Thunderbird project).

For sending e-mail, mutt usually calls the sendmail executable, which is
today more than an executable: it is so standard that one could call it an
interface, since it is usually provided by many MTA's like qmail, ssmtp,
postfix, sendmail itself, among others.

For sending e-mail with mutt, I am currently using a patched qmail
installation (home-made Debian package with qmail-remote SMTP AUTH patch
and other recommended patches from qmail.org), but I have msmtp installed
just in case my stupid ISP has problems relaying my e-mail (I can, then,
use other accounts for relaying with non-standard ports and encryption
enabled).

If one does not want a full MTA installed, I'd say that msmtp is the way to
go. Quite impressed by its versatility.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at: