Re: maxtor harddrive firewire usb

Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@gmail.com> (Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:45:03 -0500) writes:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:09:20 -0500, Christophe Broult <cbroult@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@gmail.com> (Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:39:37 -0500) writes:
>> > I am sorry I dont have an answer for your question. I have a maxtor
>> > 200 GB usb drive. The drive stops working if I try to copy large files
>> > (say 150 mb) in linux partition. It works fine if I copy just small
>> > files. I cant even mount other partitions of the usb drive when this
>> > happens. The only option is to reboot the computer.
>>
>> I had similar problems until I switched to using Firewire and the drive had
>> been working well until last Saturday. Though from time to time I could see
>> some problems while reading some of the files...
>
> How did you do that? Do I need any special capability
> (hardware/software)? The hard drive I was talking about comes with a
> usb connector attached to it. How can I connect it to the firewire
> port? Do I need to buy some hardware (like usb to firewire connector)?
> I have a firewire port but never used it though.

The Maxtor 5000XT has a USB and a Firewire port. Initially it was
easier for me to get the USB connection to work but after some reading
getting the Firewire version to work was fairly simple too with the
ohci1394 and sbp2 modules. If your drive does not have a Firewire
port I do not think I can help you.

Christophe

--
"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charles Chaplin