maxtor harddrive firewire usb (was Re: is repartitioning and reformatting the only alternative?)

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:09:20 -0500, Christophe Broult <cbroult@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@gmail.com> (Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:39:37 -0500) writes:
> > I am sorry I dont have an answer for your question. I have a maxtor
> > 200 GB usb drive. The drive stops working if I try to copy large files
> > (say 150 mb) in linux partition. It works fine if I copy just small
> > files. I cant even mount other partitions of the usb drive when this
> > happens. The only option is to reboot the computer.
>
> I had similar problems until I switched to using Firewire and the drive had
> been working well until last Saturday. Though from time to time I could see
> some problems while reading some of the files...

How did you do that? Do I need any special capability
(hardware/software)? The hard drive I was talking about comes with a
usb connector attached to it. How can I connect it to the firewire
port? Do I need to buy some hardware (like usb to firewire connector)?
I have a firewire port but never used it though.

I tried googling around but could not find the answer.

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi