Re: is repartitioning and reformatting the only alternative?

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:33:51 -0500, Christophe Broult
<maestroiut-debian@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Suddenly, last Saturday, I could no longer access the main partition
> of my year old external Maxtor 5000XT, a 250 GB drive because of some
> read errors on some sectors (see at the end of the message). I called
> the Maxtor support and the only suggestion beside saying that Linux is
> not supported for this drive was to ask me to repartition and reformat
> the drive. Their opinion is that the drive is fine but there are some
> logical errors.

I am sorry I dont have an answer for your question. I have a maxtor
200 GB usb drive. The drive stops working if I try to copy large files
(say 150 mb) in linux partition. It works fine if I copy just small
files. I cant even mount other partitions of the usb drive when this
happens. The only option is to reboot the computer.

It has no problems in windows xp (large or small files). I am not sure
whether this is the usb drive problem or debian's problem. God knows
what's happening.

Anyway, just thought I will vent my frustration with maxtor drives under linux.

bye
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi