Re: is repartitioning and reformatting the only alternative?

Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@gmail.com> (Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:39:37 -0500) writes:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:33:51 -0500, Christophe Broult
> <maestroiut-debian@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Suddenly, last Saturday, I could no longer access the main partition
>> of my year old external Maxtor 5000XT, a 250 GB drive because of some
>> read errors on some sectors (see at the end of the message). I called
>> the Maxtor support and the only suggestion beside saying that Linux is
>> not supported for this drive was to ask me to repartition and reformat
>> the drive. Their opinion is that the drive is fine but there are some
>> logical errors.
>
> I am sorry I dont have an answer for your question. I have a maxtor
> 200 GB usb drive. The drive stops working if I try to copy large files
> (say 150 mb) in linux partition. It works fine if I copy just small
> files. I cant even mount other partitions of the usb drive when this
> happens. The only option is to reboot the computer.

I had similar problems until I switched to using Firewire and the drive had
been working well until last Saturday. Though from time to time I could see
some problems while reading some of the files...

--
"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charles Chaplin