Re: Laptop choice, first boot issues

I'll just add a few comments based on my experience with an A31
ThinkPad:

On (24/11/04 14:42), Raphaël Berbain wrote:
> Victor Munoz <vmunoz@macul.ciencias.uchile.cl> writes:
> > Currently I'm considering R50, T41, T42 models, but I'm open to suggestions!
> > I've read that one has to be very careful when first booting,
> > because Windows XP converts the file system from VFAT to
> > NTFS.
>
> It does.  Careful, as in, I guess pulling the plug during the
> conversion might screw up things.  Or as in, insert the install CD
> soon enough so you don't boot XP at all - It all depends on what you
> want to achieve.

The machine arrives with two partitions: one big one and a small hidden
partition at the end where the NTFS installer and recovery hide.  When
you first boot it, it will convert the first partition to NTFS.

> > 1. If I naively do a normal boot, then filesystem conversion will take
> > place, and I will not be able to (easily) resize partitions to make room for
> > Linux later?
>
> AFAIK, ntfs partitions can be resized.  Maybe not all partition
> editors can do it, but I think Knoppix's can.  Ubuntu can't right now,
> be it is on the roadmap.

It's safest to use native tools to repartition.  Borrow a
PartitionMagic CD, if you can.  I have no experience with cfdisk or
QTParted making partitions for Windows.  In any event, make TWO
partitions: the first for NTFS at whatever size you want for Windows.
(9GB will hold basic stuff plus one game.)  The second can be very
small (~300 MB), and is insurance in case you ever need to reinstall
Windows.

> > Or the only problem with NTFS is that they're read-only?
>
> Linux's NTFS support is read-only (or read-write, if you are prepared
> to jumps through hoops).  General piece of advice for dual-boot
> linux/windows machines:  keep a VFAT partition somewhere.
>
> > 2. If I keep XP, then I also have to keep the "recovery" partition. Right?
>
> If you want to be able to "recover", I guess it's necessary.
> Otherwise, just wipe out the thing.

Ask IBM for a recovery CD within 30 days of purchase, and it is free.
If you ever use it, it will create FAT32 (not NTFS) on the first
partition, and a small recovery system on the second partition.
(That's why you create two partitions, not one, in the beginning.)
THEN you can wipe out the original recovery partition at the end of
the hard drive.

> > 3. If I keep XP, what would be a suitable partition size for it? I will not
> > really use it, just a backup in case I need to know about some hardware,
> > until I'm sure sid is working properly with all hardware.
>
> In my experience, 2/3 Go is about the least viable minimum size for XP
> these days.

You might want a little more, depending on the size of your drive and
your use for Windows.  See above.

> > 4. A simpler alternative would be to boot first time with Knoppix, which
> > seems to do a very good job detecting hardware. Learn all I have to learn
> > with Knoppix, and then delete all partitions and start with a pure Debian
> > system.
>
> If anything, that should be simpler than going the dual-boot road.

Simpler for sure: you don't have to think about all this.  But if you
want to use dial-up when you travel with a strange new provider (like
Roadrunner's, not to mention Europe), or play Windows-world games, or
get IBM automatic updates, or various other things, dual boot is
relatively painless.  GRUB rules!

> > Any horror stories out there?

One horror story: if you install Debian starting on the second
partition, then someday your XP system will lock up so that you have
to reinstall.  Not only will the %^$&*@!! hidden recovery write over
the MBR on the first partition, but it will put junk on that second
partition so that you have to reinstall Debian!

> Have a look at http://modular.fas.harvard.edu/t42/ (linked from
> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com) to get more info.
>
> > 5. This recovery partition, is of use only to Windows? The "delete all
> > partitions" part above is safe if I intend to have Debian only?
>
> Definitively yes.

Yup.