Re: Upgrading to Sarge from Woody

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:36:36AM -0500, disciple@exis.net wrote:
> Just want to make sure that I have this right.  After searching the
> archives, I found this:
>
> # vi /etc/apt/sources.list
> :%s/woody/sarge/g
> :wq
>
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>

> Should I delete everything in this file and just use the above?  Is this
> all that is needed to have it upgraded?  Am I missing something?  Any
> other considerations?

what they're saying is, edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and replace all instances
of the word "woody" with the word "sarge", then save the file.  Those lines
beginning with ':' are a shortcut to do that in the "vi" editor.

then, from the shell, type:

  apt-get update
  apt-get dist-upgrade

(they left out the apt-get update, I'm pretty sure that's necessary)

good luck!