Re: Laptop choice, first boot issues

j64669@columbus.rr.com writes:

>> AFAIK, ntfs partitions can be resized.  Maybe not all partition
>> editors can do it, but I think Knoppix's can.  Ubuntu can't right now,
>> be it is on the roadmap.
>
> It's safest to use native tools to repartition.

Well, not in my experience.  I used to think that way, but Windows
partitioning tools screwed my disks too many times to my taste.  YMMV.

> Borrow a PartitionMagic CD, if you can.  I have no experience with
> cfdisk or QTParted making partitions for Windows.  In any event,
> make TWO partitions: the first for NTFS at whatever size you want
> for Windows.  (9GB will hold basic stuff plus one game.)

Two data points :  My home windows machine is OS plus basic tools, but
nothing big (no Office suite, no Visual Studio).  It tops at 4.5 GB.
My work machine has Office, Visual Studio, and a couple of other
things.  It uses 9.8 GB.

> The second can be very small (~300 MB), and is insurance in case you
> ever need to reinstall Windows.

So, I just had a look at the default partitionning: /dev/hda1 is 55GB
FAT32 -> NTFS, /dev/hda2 is 4.6GB FAT32 flagged bootable.  Is a 300MB
partition enough ?  I have no idea how IBM's recovery system uses it.
Also, does anybody know why does IBM ships a FAT32 fs just to convert
it to NTFS first thing when the machine comes to life - as opposed to
shipping NTFS directly ?

> Simpler for sure: you don't have to think about all this.  But if you
> want to use dial-up when you travel with a strange new provider (like
> Roadrunner's, not to mention Europe), or play Windows-world games, or
> get IBM automatic updates, or various other things, dual boot is
> relatively painless.  GRUB rules!

As a side note:  Is Europe much worse about strange ISP setups ?  This
is an honest question; I personally never saw much difference between
EU/US regarding weird network setups.  I wonder what makes you say
this.

As for dial-up, the modem is reported to work with resp. FC3, SuSE9.1
and Sarge:

http://pmw.org/~gardnerj/Thinkpad/Install.html#Modem
http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/22-IBM-Thinkpad-T42p.html
http://norman.walsh.name/2004/09/20/newLaptop

>> > Any horror stories out there?
>
> One horror story: if you install Debian starting on the second
> partition, then someday your XP system will lock up so that you have
> to reinstall.  Not only will the %^$&*@!! hidden recovery write over
> the MBR on the first partition, but it will put junk on that second
> partition so that you have to reinstall Debian!

Good to know.  Thanks for your valuable input.