Re: Laptop choice, first boot issues

Victor Munoz <vmunoz@macul.ciencias.uchile.cl> writes:

> Currently I'm considering R50, T41, T42 models, but I'm open to suggestions!

I had the opportunity to play with a T42p just yesterday.  h/w-wise, I
am impressed.  I still have the machine available for some time, so if
there are specific points worrying you, I can play with it a bit more
- e.g. lspci output, default partitions layout, stuff like that.

> It will probably not be possible to buy a laptop without XP installed.

In the package I got, there was a paper stating that if I didn't want
to use some of the pre-installed software, I could write to IBM and
get a refund.  It wasn't clear if the offer applied to the
pre-installed OS or only to the pre-installed extra s/w.  Maybe this
is a French specific disposition.  Also, maybe it is theorically
possible but practically undoable.

> I've read that one has to be very careful when first booting,
> because Windows XP converts the file system from VFAT to
> NTFS.

It does.  Careful, as in, I guess pulling the plug during the
conversion might screw up things.  Or as in, insert the install CD
soon enough so you don't boot XP at all - It all depends on what you
want to achieve.

> 1. If I naively do a normal boot, then filesystem conversion will take
> place, and I will not be able to (easily) resize partitions to make room for
> Linux later?

AFAIK, ntfs partitions can be resized.  Maybe not all partition
editors can do it, but I think Knoppix's can.  Ubuntu can't right now,
be it is on the roadmap.

> Or the only problem with NTFS is that they're read-only?

Linux's NTFS support is read-only (or read-write, if you are prepared
to jumps through hoops).  General piece of advice for dual-boot
linux/windows machines:  keep a VFAT partition somewhere.

> 2. If I keep XP, then I also have to keep the "recovery" partition. Right?

If you want to be able to "recover", I guess it's necessary.
Otherwise, just wipe out the thing.

> 3. If I keep XP, what would be a suitable partition size for it? I will not
> really use it, just a backup in case I need to know about some hardware,
> until I'm sure sid is working properly with all hardware.

In my experience, 2/3 Go is about the least viable minimum size for XP
these days.

> 4. A simpler alternative would be to boot first time with Knoppix, which
> seems to do a very good job detecting hardware. Learn all I have to learn
> with Knoppix, and then delete all partitions and start with a pure Debian
> system.

If anything, that should be simpler than going the dual-boot road.

Have a look at http://modular.fas.harvard.edu/t42/ (linked from
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com) to get more info.

> 5. This recovery partition, is of use only to Windows? The "delete all
> partitions" part above is safe if I intend to have Debian only?

Definitively yes.