Re: Laser Printer

On 24 Nov 2004, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Jon Dowland <dowland@gmail.com> [2004 Nov 24 05:56 -0600]:
> > I'm in a similar position, although I'd most likely be buying second
> > hand. In addition, I'd like to avoid CUPS and related 'modern' things
> > if at all possible, so a postscript printer would be ideal.
>
> What's your heartache with CUPS?  For me it's been a godsend as
> printing on Linux never looked so good.  Yes, I have an old Postscript
> laser printer (Lexmark 4039-10R), but it lacks the memory to print
> anything but the simplest PS documents directly.  With CUPS and Gimp
> Print generating PCL5 I now have printouts that rival anything the
> proprietary PCL5 drivers put out.
>
> I've loaded the PPD file for an Optra R+ I have access to and the web
> style interface of CUPS made it quite easy to configure.  The BSD
> compatibility package made CUPS seemless for all the apps that expect
> an LPR interface.
>
> Until something better comes along, I'm a happy CUPS user.

CUPS worked pretty well for me with my Kyocera FS1010 but I found
magicfilter to be better. Several of the CUPS ppd files printed the test
page well but only printed bits of jpeg files. One of the ppd files did
print the jpeg files but the shading was off.

I've always liked magicfilter. The debian maintainer for the package
doesn't seem to be active at present and the new (2.3) version of
magicfilter, available from
http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/magicfilter/, hasn't been
packaged. But it is easy to compile though I'm not sure that it's any
better than 1.2. It now has a BSD-style copyright so perhaps it would
have to go under non-free now.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic