Re: Laser Printer

* Jon Dowland <dowland@gmail.com> [2004 Nov 24 05:56 -0600]:
> I'm in a similar position, although I'd most likely be buying second
> hand. In addition, I'd like to avoid CUPS and related 'modern' things
> if at all possible, so a postscript printer would be ideal.

What's your heartache with CUPS?  For me it's been a godsend as
printing on Linux never looked so good.  Yes, I have an old Postscript
laser printer (Lexmark 4039-10R), but it lacks the memory to print
anything but the simplest PS documents directly.  With CUPS and Gimp
Print generating PCL5 I now have printouts that rival anything the
proprietary PCL5 drivers put out.

I've loaded the PPD file for an Optra R+ I have access to and the web
style interface of CUPS made it quite easy to configure.  The BSD
compatibility package made CUPS seemless for all the apps that expect
an LPR interface.

Until something better comes along, I'm a happy CUPS user.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"