Re: xprint - why?

Jacob S(stormspotter@6Texans.net) is reported to have said:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:17:29 -0500
> Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> wrote:
>
> > Jacob S(stormspotter@6Texans.net) is reported to have said:

> > > <snip>
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > Actually, that's not true. "apt-cache show mozilla-firefox" reveals
> > > that xprt is now only in the recommended line, instead of the
> > > Depends line. In mozilla-browser it's in the Suggests line. I have
> > > been following the latest Mozilla browser in Sarge while keeping
> > > xprt and friends uninstalled. Works great, no special tricks
> > > necessary.
> > >

> > Just checked and you are correct, so I uninstalled xprt*, restarted
> > mozilla-firefox 1.0-2, brought up a page, clicked print, waited ~30
> > seconds, clicked print, waited ~15 seconds, watched the 'preparing'
> > message appear and the bar scroll, then firefox crashed.  The page had
> > some jpegs on it.  Nothing was printed.
> >
> > Restarted and watched the same as above on a text only page and it did
> > print and firefox did _not_ crash.
> >
> > Looks like getting firefox from mozilla is a better choice.  The
> > current debian package has some issues.  :-)
>
> Since Firefox is not my primary browser, I usually upgrade it pretty
> fast to check out the new features and don't follow the Debian packages.
> But I just tried installing it via apt-get to see if I experienced the
> same problem and printing worked great for me. Pages with .jpgs, .gifs,
> text, it didn't seem to matter - Firefox printed to cups just fine using
> the Postscript/default option. Same with the tarball from Mozilla.org,
> but then you already knew that.
>
> Printing has been working great in Mozilla-browser and galeon for me, as
> well. No complaints at all.
>
> I'm running Sarge, btw.

It seems that the page I can't print with firefox (with or without
xprt) prints fine with mozilla-browser.  I tried firefox with xprt and
postscript and it continues to crash, without printing.  This is with
with the Debian package _and_ the 1.0 version downloaded from
mozilla.org.  A bug report to mozilla.org was submitted.

The page is one of mine and I thought it was odd that I had printed
copies of it but could not print it with firefox.

http://www.capital.net/~brittman/puppypic/puppies.html
for those that might want to try it for themselves.

WT

--
I have a dream: 1073741824 bytes free.