Re: xprint - why?

On (23/11/04 08:52), Jacob S wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:41:32 -0600
> Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> wrote:
>
> > * Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> [2004 Nov 23 06:12 -0600]:
> > > Anyway, if someone could explain or point me to a document or thread
> > > (which I couldn't find) that explains why we need xprint, how it
> > > fits in, and what programs it replaces, I'd appreciate it.
> > >
> > > I'm probably not alone ;-).
> <snip>
> > Since they still depend on xprt I've continued to use the
> > mozilla.org packages.
> <snip>
>
> Actually, that's not true. "apt-cache show mozilla-firefox" reveals that
> xprt is now only in the recommended line, instead of the Depends line.
> In mozilla-browser it's in the Suggests line. I have been following the
> latest Mozilla browser in Sarge while keeping xprt and friends
> uninstalled. Works great, no special tricks necessary.
I had trouble printing from mozilla-firefox for a while until ps
printing via cups was resupported.  But I still have the xprt printers
in firefox's printer list.  When I try to remove xprt-xprintorg and
xprt-common, aptitude complains: x-window-system depends on
xprt-xprintorg.

Can I safely uninstall them?

Regards

Clive