"Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote in message
news:33JGt-871-1@gated-at.bofh.it...
> Kent West wrote:

> > That looks okay to me
>

> I did notice you had a / on the end of your sitenames, which I don't
> have in my sources.list file, but I added it to see what happens and an
> update seemed to work fine. Then I sent the above message that it looks
> okay to me. But when I got around to doing a dist-upgrade with the extra
> slash, I got a bunch of errors. So I removed the extra slash, and now my
> box is upgrading properly. If you're getting errors, perhaps you should
> change your sources.list file to:
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org sarge/updates main contrib non-free
>
> (I've never been able to figure out the syntax of this file; I always
> just copy it from a working system.)
>
> --
> Kent

Hi Kent,

I removed the / characters: it worked just the same i.e. no errors and
nothing to upgrade.

Given that I've done not a scrap of proper work on this setup yet, and given
your earlier comments about starting with Sarge instead of Woody, I'm
beginning to seriously wonder about junking the Linux partitions and
starting again with Sarge.  What do you think?  Might it be easier (and
safer) than pressing on with this obviously flawed install?  How would I get
started?

Thanks

Brian