Re: Cannot connect to network now...

Just out of curiosity, have you tried booting a Knoppix (or Kanotix, my
preferred) CD? I know the purists might not be amused, but that's a
pretty good way to find out if your hardware is Debian compatible
without having to go through configuration hassles. Not to mention that
I see nothing wrong with running Knoppix or Kanotix, and then just
apt-get yourself a full-fledged desktop system.

regards,
Robert