RE: Cannot connect to network now...

I think it is known as biting off more than you can chew.....

try running modconf at the command prompt and installing the needed NIC module.

regards

Thing

--- Brian Coiley <bcap@clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Here is the story so far:
>
> 1.    Installed Woody dual-boot on my W2K box
> 2.    Couldn't get Nvidia card to work
> 3.    On the advice of this NG, upgraded to Sarge
> 4.    Tried to install a 2.4 kernel.  Need to change
> LILO config, but I'm
> not using LILO, I'm using NTLDR...
> 5.    Figured out how to change from using NTLDR to
> LILO, and tried again to
> install the 2.4 kernel.
> 6.    2.4 kernel would not boot (interrupt failures
> on hard drive)
> 7.    So, installed a 2.6 kernel.
> 8.    Still can't get Nvidia card to work with nv
> driver.
> 9.    After much fiddling around with configuration,
> managed to get startx
> to do something using VESA, but just shows a grey
> screen with a black cross
> in the middle, and entire system is locked up.
> 10.  Hit the big power button and booted again.
> Result...
>
> Linux is now completely unable to see my network.
> Fails to get an IP
> address from the DHCP server, doesn't work, nix,
> nothing!  This is NOT a
> hardware problem: it works fine if I boot to
> Windoze.  And it was working
> fine for 2 days, up to an hour ago.
>
> I have not got the foggiest idea how to begin
> diagnosing this latest
> problem.  Something has clearly gone wrong with the
> NIC/driver setup in
> Sarge, but I don't know where to begin.
>
> Please help!  Windoze is beginning to look like
> considerably better value
> than the £3 I paid for the Debian CD's, which will
> shortly become a set of
> nice shiny coasters!

Explanation:
The problem starts because you install a kernel that
does not have the correct drivers for your ethernet
card(s), so since you do not have the driver your
ethernet card(s) can not connect.

Which method of installation are you using? I think
set of cd's but how you upgrade to sarge!!?

Let's test if you get this working with this commands:
#ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.28 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
after this type:
#ifconfig
and post what it displays.
also run and post:
#route -n
#lsmod
run and post.
#lspci
run and post.
#lsdev
run and post.

additional information:

You will need to know which ethernet card(s) you have,
model and maker!!!! (Post this too).

Regards.

=====
--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)