Re: Cannot connect to network now...

"Sergio Basurto Juarez" <sbasurtoj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:33sFK-2Ef-27@gated-at.bofh.it...

> --- Brian Coiley <bcap@clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Here is the story so far:
> >
> > 1.    Installed Woody dual-boot on my W2K box
> > 2.    Couldn't get Nvidia card to work
> > 3.    On the advice of this NG, upgraded to Sarge
> > 4.    Tried to install a 2.4 kernel.  Need to change
> > LILO config, but I'm
> > not using LILO, I'm using NTLDR...
> > 5.    Figured out how to change from using NTLDR to
> > LILO, and tried again to
> > install the 2.4 kernel.
> > 6.    2.4 kernel would not boot (interrupt failures
> > on hard drive)
> > 7.    So, installed a 2.6 kernel.
> > 8.    Still can't get Nvidia card to work with nv
> > driver.
> > 9.    After much fiddling around with configuration,
> > managed to get startx
> > to do something using VESA, but just shows a grey
> > screen with a black cross
> > in the middle, and entire system is locked up.
> > 10.  Hit the big power button and booted again.
> > Result...
> >
> > Linux is now completely unable to see my network.
> > Fails to get an IP
> > address from the DHCP server, doesn't work, nix,
> > nothing!  This is NOT a
> > hardware problem: it works fine if I boot to
> > Windoze.  And it was working
> > fine for 2 days, up to an hour ago.
> >
> > I have not got the foggiest idea how to begin
> > diagnosing this latest
> > problem.  Something has clearly gone wrong with the
> > NIC/driver setup in
> > Sarge, but I don't know where to begin.
> >
> > Please help!  Windoze is beginning to look like
> > considerably better value
> > than the £3 I paid for the Debian CD's, which will
> > shortly become a set of
> > nice shiny coasters!
>
> Explanation:
> The problem starts because you install a kernel that
> does not have the correct drivers for your ethernet
> card(s), so since you do not have the driver your
> ethernet card(s) can not connect.
>

> Which method of installation are you using? I think
> set of cd's but how you upgrade to sarge!!?

Set of CD's to install Woody.  Used #apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade to
Sarge.

> Let's test if you get this working with this commands:
> #ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.28 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> after this type:
> #ifconfig
> and post what it displays.

It's kind of difficult to post it all: the offending computer is not
connecting to the network, and I'm using my Windoze laptop to type this!
What exactly are we looking for?

> also run and post:
> #route -n

Shows nothing: just some column headers with nothing in the table.

> #lsmod

Again, it's kind of difficult to show it all.  There is an entry for sis900,
which is my NIC

> run and post.
> #lspci

Again, far too much to retype.  However, it does include the following:

00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100
Ethernet (rev 90)

> run and post.
> #lsdev

Gives "command not found"

> run and post.
>
> additional information:
>
> You will need to know which ethernet card(s) you have,
> model and maker!!!! (Post this too).

SiS 900, onboard on an ASUS K7S8X motherboard.