Re: Computer goes unacceptably slow

Tapio Lehtonen wrote:

I have a computer class with 13 IBM ThinkCentre computers, running
Debian GNU/Linux Sarge since August.

Do you mean you're the admin for these 13, or that you're a student and are just trying to diagnose the problem?

Right from the start they go to a
strange state where computer is extremely sluggish. Looks like any
command takes about a minute to execute. This happens randomly, at
least it looks random to me. Sometimes it happens in less than half an
hour. It looks to me that if the computer is up, it eventually goes to
this state before 8 hours.
Did you install these machines individually, or did you clone them? If you cloned them, do they all have their own hostname? Is /etc/hosts properly configured?

What if you kill the network on one of the machines? Does the problem still occur?

Any cron jobs running?

How much swap space do you have? Is it turned on?

Are the perms correct on /tmp?

Any NFS sharing going on?

Google found on other report of what seems the same problem:
 http://groups.google.fi/groups?hl=fi&lr=&threadm=2K35l-3D9-27%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dacpi%2Bibm%2Bthinkcen%26hl%3Dfi%26btnG%3DGoogle-haku
I found this searching for "acpi ibm thincen" from newsgroups. That
report says the problem is not present with 2.6.6 kernel, but is there in 2.6.7
and later kernels. I have tried 2.6.7, and 2.6.8 debian version -1 and -5. Now I have Sarge on the hosts, updated on 2004-11-21 to the current Sarge.
Wait; you say the problem is not present with 2.6.6, but is with 2.6.7; then you say you've tried 2.6.7. Did you expect the problem to go away when you tried the known-to-have-problems kernel?

Can you disable ACPI in the BIOS, or in Debian itself (I'm ACPI ignorant)?

Have you tried Knoppix (or similar LiveCD/USB Flashdrive) in one of the machines to see if it also exhibits the problem?

--
Kent