Computer goes unacceptably slow

Hello,

I have a computer class with 13 IBM ThinkCentre computers, running
Debian GNU/Linux Sarge since August. Right from the start they go to a
strange state where computer is extremely sluggish. Looks like any
command takes about a minute to execute. This happens randomly, at
least it looks random to me. Sometimes it happens in less than half an
hour. It looks to me that if the computer is up, it eventually goes to
this state before 8 hours.

Today I noticed the computer can not measure time correctly when in
this state. I have a screenshot image to show:
  http://people.debian.org/~tale/thinkcentre-slow.png
That's apt-get dist-upgrade running there, finnish locale so it is in finnish.

On host nttv37 it shows it took 49701 days to fetch the files.

If I run top, it show most of the time all percentages on the
CPU -line as 0.0%, except very seldom idle is 100.0%.

Google found on other report of what seems the same problem:
  http://groups.google.fi/groups?hl=fi&lr=&threadm=2K35l-3D9-27%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dacpi%2Bibm%2Bthinkcen%26hl%3Dfi%26btnG%3DGoogle-haku
I found this searching for "acpi ibm thincen" from newsgroups. That
report says the problem is not present with 2.6.6 kernel, but is there in 2.6.7
and later kernels. I have tried 2.6.7, and 2.6.8 debian version -1 and -5.
Now I have Sarge on the hosts, updated on 2004-11-21 to the current Sarge.

I don't have other clues. This problem is really annoying, when computer goes
to this extremely sluggish state, only way to recover is to reboot.

--
Tapio Lehtonen
Tapio.Lehtonen@IKI.FI