Re: printing from firefox

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:51:12AM -0500, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> [Sarge/testing, mozilla-firefox 1.0-2, cupsys- 1.1.20final+rc1-10]
>
> Old problem
> -----------
> I have tried about everything (including changing margin settings in
> the "page setup" dialog, examining possible options in "about:config",
> etc.), but still cannot get the "headers/footers" to appear in printed
> web pages.  They show up in "print preview" -- at the very edge of the
> image -- but don't make it to the *printed* page(s).
>
> Needless to say, printing headers & footers is a very important
> capability of my preferred browser: Firefox!

I use Mozilla and have noticed a similar problem.  I'll present my
observations in this regard.

Actually, this problem has existed for me for several versions back.  My
printer is an HP DJ660, and it has an unprintable area at the top and
the bottom, and I've come to the conclusion that Mozilla (or CUPS)
doesn't take this into account.

There are two places where you can set up the margins..  From the Files
menu->Page setup, but this doesn't seem to affect the overall margin.  I
suspect that this determines the _TEXT_ margins.  You can also set
margins from the Print Menu itself by clicking the "Options" button.
And I believe that here is where the margins are actually determined.

For my printer, a top margin of about .35" fixes the header, but the
bottom margin seems to need a lot more.  For some reason, the entry
boxes won't accept anything greater than 0.50".  If I type in .7, it
immediately reverts back to .5.  However, what I did was edit the
following line in "prefs.js" to look like this:

user_pref("print.printer_PostScript/default.print_edge_bottom", 75);

I now get my footer (I had to increase the bottom margin in the
"Files->Page Setup" menu to get some space between the bottom of the
text and the footer.

Again, this is Mozilla, but perhaps firefox works the same way.