Re: dual-OS system

Apparently, _ken keanon_, on 17/11/04 23:47,typed:

Question
1. How easy is it to switch from one OS to another? Is rebooting the only way?

I guess so. You could try VMWare but IIRC it is not free.

2. Linux uses ext2 or ext3 filesystem, XP uses NTFS. Can files be swap between the two? More likely I wouldl be copying Linux file to XP, e.g. log files required for troubleshooting.

I usually share data between Windows and Linux by making a separate FAT32 partition. Linux can reat and write to FAT32 but only read reliably from NTFS. You given your plan, you could try making at least four partitions:
1) One NTFS for Windows
2) One FAT32 to share data (Maybe 5 GB, but depeneds on your needs and disk space). 3) One parition (I have ext3) for Linux (should be at least 9 GB to have most of the goodies plus your home directory)

Here is what I do:
I have 3 partitions for Windows:
- C: NTFS  14GB
- D: NTFS 5GB (user data, can retain if needed to reinstall Windows, which does happen)
- E: FAT32 to share data (2GB)
Then at least 3 for Linux
- Partition for Linux installation: 8GB (formatted as ext3)
- Partition for home directory:     10GB (formatted as ext3)
- Swap paritition for Linux: 1 GB (should be around double the RAM you have I guess)

This way, even if you have to reinstall Windows, D: remains untouched and whatever data you save there will rmain. Similarly, for whatever reason you re-install Linux, your /home directories will remain and the next time you install Linux you just tell the installation not to touch /home and you have all your data intact.

Let me know if you need any further help,

GL,
->HS