Re: Error inserting ndiswrapper

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 10:59 pm, nornagon wrote:
> I'm using the stock debian kernel 2.6.7-1-k7, to get that out of the way.
>
> I need to use ndiswrapper, since my card isn't yet supported by prism54.
>
> Okay, so I compiled ndiswrapper. Then, I modprobe it.
>
> Output:
> $ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
> FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper
> (/lib/modules/2.6.9-1-k7/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Unknown symbol in
> module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> Relevant bits of dmesg:
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol per_cpu__softnet_data
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol per_cpu__softnet_data
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol unregister_netdev
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol unregister_netdev
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol eth_type_trans
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol eth_type_trans
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol skb_over_panic
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol skb_over_panic
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol register_netdev
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol register_netdev
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol alloc_skb
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol alloc_skb
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol netif_rx
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol netif_rx
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol __netdev_watchdog_up
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol __netdev_watchdog_up
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol skb_copy_and_csum_dev
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol skb_copy_and_csum_dev
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol alloc_etherdev
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol alloc_etherdev
> ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol __kfree_skb
> ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol __kfree_skb
>
> Any more necessary information I'd be more than happy to provide.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P.S. Sorry if this is a double post, wasn't sure if it went through.
>
> --
> - nornagon
> http://www.nornrock.com

Did you do this:

2. Install your windows driver
------------------------------
Download the Windows XP drivers, unpack it and locate the .inf for your card.
Run ndiswrapper -i to install the driver

> ndiswrapper -i </path/to/inffile.inf>

This copies all necessary files to /etc/ndiswrapper and creates the config
files for your card.

After installing you can run

> ndiswrapper -l

to see the status of your installed drivers. If you have installed the correct
driver you should see something like this:

Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5  present

Where "present" means that you have a PCI-device present that can be used with
the
driver bcmwl5.

John