Re: dual-OS system

On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:20,
> As mentioned in my previous mail, I'll run a dual-OS system. Since l have
> only one drive, I'll divide it into two partitions, one for Win XP and one
> for Debian. I think this is a good way to start off. When one fails, I can
> use the other to troubelshoot via the Web. I forsee doing this a lot in the
> initial stage.
As another poster has said, you need a swap partition as well, 1-2x RAM.

> Question
> 1. How easy is it to switch from one OS to another? Is rebooting the only
> way?
You set up lilo or grub and boot to one or the other. If you use paritionmagic
(costs), they have a bootmagic utility to handle this as well.

You might look into "colinux". Whether it will run off your linux installation
I do not know. It can boot knoppix and run it in a window.

> 2. Linux uses ext2 or ext3 filesystem, XP uses NTFS. Can files be swap
> between the two? More likely I wouldl be copying Linux file to XP, e.g. log
> files required for troubleshooting
There are, as posted, other alternatives as well. Ext3 is simplest, I think.
Linux can mount NTFS read-only but has full FAT32 support.
I will send you on private cover, a little ext2 file explorer for windows,
"explore2fs",  (ext3 is ext2 plus a journal so if the thing goes down, most
if all data is fully recovered. Wish windows could do that!). I would not use
it for writing filese, though it can.