Re: Loading Kernel Modules

Hello

Paul Tsai (<paul@thirdaspect.net>) wrote:
> Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
>>>I'm compiling a custom kernel 2.6.6 on my Toshiba laptop.  One of the
>>>things I've noticed is that it keeps loading the intel_agp and the
>>>agpart modules.  Now in the kernel, I specified to not compile agpart
>>>module. however it loads.
>>>

>>To me, that looks like you forgot to move the old module directory out
>>of the way when you installed the kernel (set a different
>>EXTRAVERSION, use kernel-package).
>>

> Hmmm.  Well I physically removed the lib/modules/2.6.6 directory each
> time I recompiled.... does this do the same thing?

Yes, that should be sufficient. If the module still gets loaded,
something went wrong configuring or compiling the kernel. E.g. you
forgot make clean.

>>>Only thing is I don't want it to load cause
>>>I want to use nvidia's agp modules.  (I simply renamed the modules so
>>>they can't load but the errors on startup annoy me).  Is there a file
>>>somewhere where it specifies what modules load?
>>
>>Try to put an "#" in front of this line:
>>
>>/etc/modprobe.d/aliases:alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
>>
>>See if maybe hotplug or discover load the driver. Make sure your XFree
>>is configured to use the nvidia agp driver. See the readme that is in
>>the nvidia-glx package.
>>

> How do I check whether hotplug of discover is loading the driver?

Switch the bootlogd on (/etc/default/bootlogd). Read /var/log/boot after
rebooting. You can blacklist drivers, check /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d
and /etc/discover.d.

> Xfree is configured to use Nvidia.

You can set the NvAGP option in the Device section:

        Option          "NvAGP" "1"

The settings are explained the documentation of the nvidia-glx package.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976