Re: Problems while sharing the net

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 13:27:25 +0500, Asim Jamshed wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a LAN setup(two e100 ethernet cards connected directly) between
> two computers; one(Computer A) is a dual-boot machine of Linux and
> Windows XP while the other(Computer B) has Windows 2000 OS. I need
> Computer A (when Linux is booted up) to access the net through
> Computer B(which is connected via telephone line to a local ISP).

[snipped]
>     I think that Computer A(when booted in Linux) is connected to the
> LAN because I get reply to pings from both the nodes.

It looks like the linux box can't resolve the hostnames.  As far as I
know w2k doesn't provide a name server.

If the following works, your basic setup is ok:

  ping 140.211.166.120

But when this fails

  ping www.mozilla.org

the machine can not resolve the hostname. Edit your /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 1.2.3.4
#          ^^^^^^^ IP Address of the name server of your provider

see resolv.conf(5) for details.

hope this helps

gk