Re: Problems while sharing the net

--- Asim Jamshed <asim.jamshed@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a LAN setup(two e100 ethernet cards connected
> directly) between
> two computers; one(Computer A) is a dual-boot
> machine of Linux and
> Windows XP while the other(Computer B) has Windows
> 2000 OS. I need
> Computer A (when Linux is booted up) to access the
> net through
> Computer B(which is connected via telephone line to
> a local ISP).
>
> I tried the following steps but it didn't work:
>
> 1) Computer B
>     IP address is 192.168.0.1
>     The subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0
>     I've also allowed 'sharing of internet'.
>
>     I beleive these settings are fine because
> Computer A is able to
> access the net when I boot up in Windows XP.
>

> 2) Computer A
>      I exectued the following commands:
>
>      $ modprobe e100
>      $ ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask
> 255.255.255.0 (I also tried
> the same command without adding the netmask setting
> separately)
>      $ route add default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask
> 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
> (I also tried with a netmask of 255.255.255.255
> separately)
>

>     I think that Computer A(when booted in Linux) is
> connected to the
> LAN because I get reply to pings from both the
> nodes.
>

>     Every time I enter a URL in my mozilla browser,
> the following sort
> of error is generated:
>
>     "Unable to connect. Make sure the URL is valid"
>

>     Kindly, can anyone tell me what I am doing
> wrong.
>
> Regards
> -Asim-
I suppose you have a proxy, in order to share Internet
access:

The only thing you must do is to set up mozilla to use
your proxy in this case machine B.

Then the diagram that you have is something like:
  dinamyc ip     192.168.0.1    192.168.0.2
 ---       ----------               ---------
|ISP|-----| Machine A|-------------|Machine B|
 ---       ----------               ---------

If the diagram that I draw is correct your
configuration at linux must be:

#ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

#route add default gw 192.168.0.1
#route -n //this should

after this,as far as I know you must have a proxy in
machine A in order to share your internet conection.

You also must be able to run the command:
#dig www.yahoo.com // an get a correct response.

Any further help let me know.

Regards.

=====
--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)