Re: BIG filesystems, Big Files, Transparent Compression?

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
In article <[🔎] cndng5$v2$1@sea.gmane.org>,
Ben Russo  <ben@muppethouse.com> wrote:

(see below for long story background )

The last time I created a large HW RAID5 volume (1.6 TB) the kernel was unable to see all of it... If I create several smaller block devices (like 400GB each) can LVM bind them together into a larger single filesystem? ( I am aiming for 4-6 TB )

You need to use a 2.6 kernel and compile the kernel with support for
large block devices.  In "make menuconfig", "device drivers ->
block devices -> Support for Large Block Devices".

Mike.

THANKS!  :-)

Problem #1  solved,

still wondering if there might be an option for a
compressed filesystem.... anyone??