lilo and mbr

I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.7, and successfully booted with the new kernel once.
However, I had to compile the kernel again, to include some additional support. I cannot
boot after compiling and installing the kernel the second time. I received a message
during the configuration that mbr.b was missing. I don't see it in /boot. On booting,
numbers start rolling on the screen as soon as BIOS transfers the control. I suspect I
have damaged the mbr. Any ideas?