Re: lilo and mbr

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:34:14AM -0800, Punit Ahluwalia wrote:
> I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.7, and successfully booted with the new
> kernel once.
> However, I had to compile the kernel again, to include some additional
> support. I cannot
> boot after compiling and installing the kernel the second time. I
> received a message
> during the configuration that mbr.b was missing. I don't see it in
> /boot. On booting,
> numbers start rolling on the screen as soon as BIOS transfers the
> control. I suspect I
> have damaged the mbr. Any ideas?

  You might want to boot with other means, such as floppy or cd. I don't
have the details for what to do afterwards but basically you need to
mount your Linux partitions, chroot to it and run lilo. If I am right
then you can have the missing details either by searching net or that
someone else will help you further.