Re: advice on updating kernel image

On Monday 15 November 2004 15:20, Randall Smith wrote:
> Justin Guerin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 November 2004 11:20, Randall Smith wrote:
[snip]
> > Just make sure those modules are placed in the initial ram disk, and
> > everything will be fine.
>
> That's what I'm uncertain about how to do.  Do I have to do this
> manually or will aptitude figure out what to do.  I did not do this
> manually when I installed Debian.
>
> If I have to do it manually, how do I go about it?  How can I see what
> is in my current initial ram disk?  I'm lost on this subject.
>
> Randall

You have to do it manually.  Start with man mkinitrd.  It will tell you that
you have to place the modules you want in your ram disk in
the /etc/mkinitrd/modules file, and check the config file to make sure
mkinitrd will place those files in the resulting image.  For example, I
boot a raid 1 root partition, using reiserfs, so mine includes the modules
reiserfs, md, and raid1.

After you edit the modules file, run mkinitrd, and point your boot loader at
the new image.

As for seeing what's in your current initial ram disk, I'm afraid I don't
know.  It is, however, an image, and you might possibly mount it using the
loopback interface, but I've never done that.

Justin Guerin

[snip]