Re: advice on updating kernel image

Justin Guerin wrote:
On Wednesday 10 November 2004 11:20, Randall Smith wrote:

Hi,

I need some advice on updating my kernel.  I currently have kernel
2.4.25-1 installed from the initial sarge installation and would like to
upgrade to the current kernel version (2.4.27).  The machine is a DELL
POWEREDGE 2500 that uses aicraid, aic7xxx modules.  These modules are
required to boot and I am concerned that if I upgrade the kernel using
aptitude install kernel-imagexxx, I will not be able to boot.  I'm not a
linux newbie, but I'm not very knowledgeable of the boot process.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Randall

Just make sure those modules are placed in the initial ram disk, and everything will be fine.
That's what I'm uncertain about how to do. Do I have to do this manually or will aptitude figure out what to do. I did not do this manually when I installed Debian.

If I have to do it manually, how do I go about it? How can I see what is in my current initial ram disk? I'm lost on this subject.

Randall

Note that when you install a new kernel image using aptitude, your old kernel will still be bootable. Just remember to run lilo or update-grub before you reboot. That way, if anything goes wrong with your new kernel, you can boot your old one.

Justin Guerin